K+dcan

BrettJP

Private
May 30, 2017
Ride
08 335xi e92
I want to try to modify a K+dcan cable. What I'm thinking about doing is replacing the built in cable on an already working and tested K+dcan cable with a female USB type A port, and housing it in a new design.

I see three main benefits from this. People wouldn't have to deal with OTG adapters when they plug their Android devices in for MHD, eliminating a potential failure point in the connection. Those who keep a device connected around the clock for constant logging or additional instrument gauges, or whatever purpose, can route one single cable of whatever length they need, without having to add USB extension cable that may come unplugged. And the female USB port could be mounted on the side, making the cable placement less likely to get the device snagged when people enter and exit the cars.

The only potential difficulty I can think of right off the bat, is that I'm not sure if the USB OTG adapters have a different pin-out from a standard USB cable, like a network patch cable would. Easy to look up though. And if so, easy to fix, just have to change the pin-out to the female USB port.

If I made and successfully tested one, are there a couple other users here who'd want to test one out, too?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The otg cable has an internal short built in if I recall. You need to stick a wire bent into a U and connect two pins for it to be recognized as an otg cable. The device treats that port differently as well as the interface differences by supplying power to the port rather than charge from it.

In the end you'd still need a cable of some kind, either a normal USB cable or an otg cable. If you built the otg connector into the obd cable that would be cool, however all the wired cables will become out dated soon with Bluetooth MHD on the horizon.

BrettJP

Private
May 30, 2017
Ride
08 335xi e92
The goal would to have all the proper wiring and pin-out done inside the connector, so that would definitely get done. It should still be relevant to xHD users though, right? I haven't read too much into that program yet.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The goal would to have all the proper wiring and pin-out done inside the connector, so that would definitely get done. It should still be relevant to xHD users though, right? I haven't read too much into that program yet.

That's a good question about the xHP portion. I'm not sure if it can communicate the same way. @Martial@MHD @RayBan maybe they could enlighten us?

If it can work, then it could have a use for sure. Even if it only appealed to people who don't have a cable yet. The xHP flash doesn't seem like something you'd need to flash as frequently and there is not a logging function that I'm aware of, but if you combined it with the faster flashing method like that bimmer geeks cable then I can see a case for it.

BrettJP

Private
May 30, 2017
Ride
08 335xi e92
I was reading up on xHD in a thread on the topic, and I did read that logging is in the works. I'll be interested to see if they can communicate on the same cable though.

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

BimmerGeeks!

Lurker
May 16, 2017
Ride
Bmw
If there was enough demand for this or if 30 or so people would agree to buy, we can have it built...

It would essentially look like this with a female USB vs the current port and we could modify to operate as fast as our Pro-Cable.

Reactions: BrettJP

BrettJP

Private
May 30, 2017
Ride
08 335xi e92
If there was enough demand for this or if 30 or so people would agree to buy, we can have it built...

That would probably be more compact than I'm able to put together. Maybe a group buy would be a good idea?

BrettJP

Private
May 30, 2017
Ride
08 335xi e92
I was actually planning to use your basic cable to do this. But if you could do it on your pro cable, then take my money!

BimmerGeeks!

Lurker
May 16, 2017
Ride
Bmw
We can look into it to see if it's worth exploring. It wouldn't be quite a compact as that product, but basically just slightly thicker than a standard cable head.

Being the main factors you pointed out most likely relate to MHD use (logging and flash), it may be more feasible to just wait on MHD to release their Bluetooth adaptor.

But as mentioned, if others truly see a need, I'm sure we could make it happen.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Well, I have a feeling they are going to fetch whatever people are willing to pay for the bluetooth adapter so there will likely be a price under that curve for another similar functioning product.