Single turbo air cowl options

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
Hey looking for options on feeding my single turbo setup some air -- goal is to reduce turbulence, cooler air, maybe even add a proper filter since I just have a turboguard atm. I didn't want to necropost this old thread but in the same vein.

1. 335d snorkel: I had this on my last car and not sure how I feel about the squeezed middle section underneath and it doesn't truly connect up to the turbo setup
2. Turner M57 Kit Minimal version: This looks like just a cheap piece of aluminum cut/bent to shape. Does it even come with weather stripping?
3. Turner M57 Full Intake: Grab the full kit even though i'd be throwing away half of it it does come with weather stripping and that back half. Seems a waste of money for my purpose
4. Nelson Air Cowl: More expensive means pretty CF and includes weather stripping
5. HGK E92 Headlight Duct w/ LED: Shipping from Europe might take a while and I'd have to cut out a hole to feed it.
6. Colorado N5x E92 Headlight Duct: Already open, cheaper than above, would probably look better. Might want to build an air damn/heat shield around the turbo still so I don't know if this even solves the primary problem
6. DIY solution similar to #3 but sourcing my own materials

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Does it need more air directed at it would be my question?

Also, I would run a filter vs a turbo guard. Turbos are expensive, rebuilds mean downtime. If you want to run without a filter I would put on as big a velocity stack as you can fit.

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
Does it need more air directed at it would be my question?

Also, I would run a filter vs a turbo guard. Turbos are expensive, rebuilds mean downtime. If you want to run without a filter I would put on as big a velocity stack as you can fit.

Tuning is just getting started, I don't know if it needs *more* air, but right now it's just getting random engine bay air which is probably hot and turbulent.

Agreed, I want a filter but turboguard was a temp fix. I wanted to run a shorty filter, but turbo has 3" inlet not 4 like is typically offered and most of the 3" filters are above 6" tall in full which doesn't fit behind the headlight. Also it feels ridiculous to have to take out the headlight to try to (un)install a air filter. Am considering maybe an "HKS" mushroom filter although at high boost those can suck in the filter or so I've heard.

Hmm, it seems like some people combine filters and velocity stacks like so: https://www.hybrid-racing.com/products/hybrid-racing-velocity-stack-and-filter

Reactions: Torgus