Twin Turbos vs Single Turbos

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
I tried to buy one of those ER CF engine covers the other day, and nope..The thing is melted by the exhaust turbine housing. I've seen AC lines melted, windshield washer necks, etc

So are you saying you bought the ER cover and it melted or you tried to buy one? Iv been trying to get my hands on one for a while now and have been told they are now longer making them!

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
You mill out the turbine housing to fit the bigger turbine blades, correct?

So please explain to me, how can you mill out the turbine housing, without milling into the exhaust channel that directs the exhaust from the manifold onto the turbine blade?

Sure you might not be changing the cross sectional area of the inlet (as it really depends on where you are measuring that), but you are still narrowing down the exhaust channel within the turbine housing if you want to fit a wheel with bigger inducer diameter. And given how much of the turbine housing are being milled out on these high flow hybrids, I just don't see how that isn't a valid concern.

Anyway, I am sure you know exactly what I am talking about. And I am sure you understand the limitations of the reusing these stock housings for high power/high flow application but just don't want to admit them publicly.

So please save the personal attack and smart ass comments for Tony when he gets kicked off bummerboost again. I can assure you will have a lot more fun when dealing with someone of your level again.

You are incorrect about the A/R vs. Hybrid milling argument. We have provided you with all of the information already on what modifying the housing for the larger wheelsets accomplish. If you would like pictures you could shoot us an email we could send one over. They have been posted in the past not only from us but from many of vendors, there are many machined variants pending on the wheel size chosen for the machining process. We also can send pics of other N54 housings too, from OEM to Chinaframes to Zageframes, and they are all nearly the same thing from a true A/R perspective. Obviously we prefer the OEM's as we feel they are most superior all around, but there is another large discussion based on that already.

You clearly have a large chip on your shoulder sir, always have, always will it seems. Regarding the bold print you clearly also have a hard time with reading comprehension, as you seemed to have missed our very detailed post outlining PUBLICLY in post #3 above advising against our OWN offerings for higher power and higher flow. Any vendor who disagrees is likely looking more to make a sale than to being honest with themselves, but I digress. Unfortunately you seem to have a VERY large MISTRUST of vendors, but I can assure you the biggest reasons for that are not due to RB but rather your selective reading and follow up stereotyping of all vendors the same. I shoot people straight, just like in post #3 above, even if it cost us sales when said and done. No reason not to either, there are MANY folks out there and tons of these cars looking for various power levels with various spool requirements at various budget amounts. Believe it or not the VAST majority of N54 enthusiasts are NOT looking to make 650+rwhp as they are not looking to smoke engines/powertrains, most are looking for around 500rwhp while hoping to keep everything fairly reliable.

Rob

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: cloud9blue

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So are you saying you bought the ER cover and it melted or you tried to buy one? Iv been trying to get my hands on one for a while now and have been told they are now longer making them!

I was inquiring about a used one for sale, and it was melted.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
What I don't get is how these threads (and this one I was really hoping would get into a good discussion) turns out with people pulling their puds out and having a baby dick war. Shove it in your pants and move on guys. Stick to the subject or just shut the fuck up.

Filippo